Incidentally, this from Denis Donoghue's review of Eliot's Letters (Vol. 3) in THE NEW CRITERION, Oct. 2012, and has to do, I think, with Eliot's pragmatist approach to Christianity:

Eliot tried again:

I speak with diffidence about James. I mean partly that he directed
to the intensification of social values feeling which is properly religious,
so that part of his work has to be interpreted & given a sense he would
not [have] admitted himself. I feel that the Vita Nuova is more “conscious”
than “The Friends of the Friends” or “The Altar of the Dead.”

Eliot, who was about to become a Christian, seems to be saying that James was a Christian without knowing it, or that his work has to be completed for him by interpreting it Christianly.

http://www.newcriterion.com/articles.cfm/Eliot-s-fine-Italian-hand-7460

CR