I teach WWI literature. The nearest I ever could come to imagining it
was in the Imperial War Museum in London. In the lower level there is a
reconstruction of a trench: it's dark and you see flares and hear the
five-nines and screams. I had to leave. I could not even bear a
reconstruction. How did any of them live even a day?
Nancy

>>> Carrol Cox 11/19/12 9:54 AM >>>
"And the band played Waltzing Matilda"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPFjToKuZQM

Carrol

Behalf Of
> Rickard A. Parker
> Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:14 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Jean Verdenal awarded the Croix de guerre
>
> For Rememberance Day (see also Armistice Day and Veteran's Day)
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 16:38:43 +0000, David Boyd
> wrote:
>
> > http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-
> dead/casualty/1640845/MYERS,%20CHRISTOPHER
> >- my grandmother's brother. RIP.
>
> That prompted me to search for the lost Jean Verdenal on French
websites.

> I came upon a photgraph of him that was published with other soldiers
that
> had the honor of being mentioned in dispatches:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentioned_in_Despatches#France
>
> He was posthumously awarded a Croix de guerre (roughly the equivalent
for
> U.S. Bronze Star Medal and Silver Star or UK Military Cross and
Military Medal):
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croix_de_guerre
>
> He has a place of honor on a plaque memorializing doctors.
> "A la gloire des internes en m�decine des h�pitaux de Paris victimes
de la
> grande guerre"
> "morts au champ d'honneur" -- died on the field of honor (in battle)
versus

http://memorial-genweb.org/~memorial2/html/fr/photo.php?id_source=39504

> As I mentioned, he has a photo on the web that was published in a news

> magazine/newspaper:
> http://jeanluc.dron.free.fr/th/V/slides/verdenal_jean.html
> with the caption "A rempli ses fonctions avec courage et devouement. A
ete
> tue le 2 mai 1915 en pansant un blesse sur le champ de bataille."
>
> "He fulfilled his duties with courage and dedication. He was killed
May 2,