On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 13:53:00 -0500, Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm trying to remember a major writer who exacted a promise that his work
would be
> destroyed but then no one would. And that was good.
>
>Does anyone remember who?

On Wikipedia there is a whole list of works destroyed at the page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_work

but it also states: Sometimes authors destroyed their own works. Other times
they instructed others to destroy the work after their deaths; such action
was not taken in several well-known cases, such as Virgil's Aeneid saved by
Augustus, and Kafka's novels saved by Max Brod.

Regards,
    Rick Parker