The relationship with Mary Trevelyan is discussed in detail by Lyndall
Gordon in her biography. Also, Trevelyan kept a memoir of it, though I
have not seen it. But the relationship has been known about at least
since Gordon in 1998. She proposed to him by the way, and was turned
down, I think more than once. But they spent a lot of time together.
Cheers,
Nancy

>>> David Boyd 11/12/12 11:07 AM >>>
Thank you, CR, an exceedingly well-informed and lucid commentary. Eg Ron
Schuchard recently once mentioned Eliot's correspondence with Mary
Trevelyan on the prospect of marriage, but don't think it was generally
known-about in any detail.

The only inaccuracy I think is that Valerie / the Eliot Estate forbade
Ackroyd from quoting *any* part of Eliot's work or correspondence.

Incidentally YouTube has a 2009 BBC TV 'Arena' Documentary, which
features many of Valerie's lovingly-preserved scrapbooks recording their
life together; her charm bracelets etc etc - it's very touching /
fascinating.