I had the amazing good fortune once to go to Guy Fawkes day at Lewes in
Sussex. At the time it was the largest in England and may be now. It was
astonishing and fascinating: a parade that went on for hours with
incredible exotic costumes and great huge torches. Then we all went out
to hillsides to great fires with a Guy to burn; when it finally got to
the Guy, late at night, he was filled with magnificent fireworks. It was
really kind of pagan and filled with pageantry and brilliant. I've never
seen anything like it (except the Scots when the Stone of Scone was
returned and they all went up Calton Hill in full kilt and with those
same huge torches and pipes and songs).
Nancy

On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 10:26:55 -0800, P wrote:

>Harpy Guy Fawkes day everyone.
>Hawks and foxes all alike, make the music of the psych...eeeeeeow!
>P. M.

Happy birthday Peter.

Here are some links to blog articles on Pope Night (Guy Fawkes day) in
circa
revolutionary war Massachusetts:

'In the pre-Revolutionary decades, New Englanders ... celebrated the
Fifth
of November—called Bonfire Night or Guy Fawkes' Day in England—as "Pope
Night" or "Pope Day."'
http://boston1775.blogspot.com/2006/11/pope-night-in-newbury-massachusetts.html

'Pope Night in Boston became the main battleground for the "North End"
and
"South End" gangs, divided by the Mill Creek. Each gang built its own
Pope
wagon and then did its best to invade its rivals' territory.'
http://boston1775.blogspot.com/2006/11/pope-night-in-boston.html

And more of less interest:
http://boston1775.blogspot.com/2006/11/how-pope-night-died-and-was-reborn.html

http://boston1775.blogspot.com/2006/11/what-pope-night-signified-in-boston.html