John Angell Grant:

> I would love to know what was going on biographically between Shakespeare
and
> his mother; that Eliot said intruded into the play "Hamlet," causing the
> Hamlet/Gertrude scene to fail as an objective correlative....

"Objective correlative" is one literary issue that Nancy & I don't quite
agree on. It seems to me a fairly empty phrase.

In any case, even if _some_ meaning could be given the term, it has no
meaning in respect to the Hamlet-Gertrude scene. It connects to the rest of
the play rather than to some "emotion" which Eliot seemed to think it should
manifest. Eliot's essay on Hamlet was not one of his happier performances.

Carrol