> As I age and reread the truly lasting poems I have come to conclude
> that poems should stand on their own, independent of the lives of the
> poets.  In other words, a reader can grasp great language without
> biographical reference.  This I am not deterred by the destruction of
> letters.  Consider what little of Shakespeare we have and how weighty
> and worthless was that massive volume last year of Larkin's every
> scribble and a few years past a similar scraps collection of Bishop.

     Amen. Not having Eliot's letters would be a deprivation of sorts
(I'd be sorry not to have them for my own purposes), but not any greater
a distraction than having them, and arguably, if not certainly, less a
one. Does anyone seriously think a writer owes his letters and private
papers to scholars? It would seem to turn the world on its head and make
purblind critics and their meanderings the raison d'etre of literature.

  Ken A