Not immediately familiar with this motif, Peter - which particular drama is
it?

If it's a bird, at night, the usual culprits are owls, either tawny or barn
owls, or even swifts or oystercatchers.

Is it certain that it's a bird - foxes for example and even domestic cats
can make some bloodcurdling noises.