2.  Do you plan to drive or need a ride?
3.  Are you planning to eat lunch with us?

You are welcome to come, even if your RSVP is late.  We'll try to accommodate everyone.

Saturday, Oct 27, 2012
Knob Noster State Park and Perry Memorial Conservation Area
Site Location: Knob Noster State Park. 873 Southeast 10th Road, Knob Noster, MO
Leader for Columbia group: Edge Wade
Contact Phone: 268-3714
Leader for Burroughs group:  Mike Stoakes

Plan to join us for a very special day of bird watching. Saturday, October 27th, we will join members of the Burroughs Audubon Society for an all day field trip to Knob Noster SP and Perry Memorial CA. Mike Leahy of MDC will lead the birding.

Our caravan will depart the Columbia Mall parking lot near Wendy's on Stadium promptly at 6:30 A.M. (restroom & coffee available) so we can meet our companions at 8:00 A.M. at the Knob Noster State Park Visitor Center. Please email [log in to unmask] or call 268-3714 if you plan to go so we can arrange for enough cars and drivers.

We'll explore the varied habitats of the park in the morning and the conservation area in the afternoon as we seek autumn species like Kinglets, Winter Wren, Hermit Thrush, Red-breasted Nuthatch, and Orange-crowned Warbler, as well as a variety of sparrows and waterfowl. We'll be listening and looking for lingering birds and hoping for recent arrivals of swans or other surprises.

Lunch will be at the Panther Steakhouse (definitely more a café than steakhouse). This is one of the cafés on Bill Clark's list of best Missouri eateries. The food really is pretty good--I like their reubens. Others rave about the smothered chicken and green beans, open-faced beef sandwiches, or tacos. The menu is in hillbilly, but most can figure out the English equivalent. The Coca-Cola memorabilia are genuine. They accept credit cards.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO