The ST. LOUIS AUDUBON SOCIETY is sponsoring a field trip this Saturday
to Two Rivers NWR, Illinois, and Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary,
St. Charles County, Missouri.  Please note the start time.

DATE:  Saturday, October 20, 2012

MEETING TIME AT GILBERT LAKE:  7:30 a.m.

MEETING PLACE:  Gilbert Lake parking lot at the downriver end of the
Gilbert Lake Division of the refuge, just past the Brussels Ferry, on
the left.

CARPOOLING:  Carpooling is encouraged; however, there is no official
plan.  For those interested, Teal Pond parking lot at Riverlands is a
great place to meet, but please time it so you arrive at Gilbert Lake by
7:30.  I will be driving from home directly to the Gilbert Lake parking lot.

DIRECTIONS TO TEAL POND:  Take MO hwy 367 north from I-270, continuing
north on U.S. hwy 67.  Just before the Clark Bridge, turn right at the
Fisca gas station.  Go past the gas station and take the next right onto
Wise Rd.  Teal Pond parking lot is immediately on the right.

DIRECTIONS TO GILBERT LAKE:  From Alton, Illinois, go north on IL hwy
100, the Great River Rd.  Continue all the way through Grafton then
watch for the Brussels Ferry.  Go only a couple hundred yards past the
ferry and the parking lot is on the left.  The entrance is just a gravel
drive, surrounded by vegetation and easily missed, but well marked with
a big sign.

PLAN:  This is planned to be an all-day field trip; however, as usual,
it will be informal and casual.  Everyone should feel free to come and
go as they please.  We'll bird Gilbert Lake first then, as in past
years, take a break up at Pere Marquette SP and bird some in that area.
We'll then backtrack to the Brussels ferry and head over to Calhoun
County to bird other areas of the refuge.  I talked to the Ranger today
and she reported 40,000 ducks on the refuge this past week and good
movements of migrant passerines.  After lunch we'll exploit additional
opportunities on the refuge, then head back down the Great River road
toward Riverlands MBS.  Unlike last year, Two Rivers NWR is holding an
open house this weekend and the staff has interesting plans, including
an auto tour along Swan Lake, a photography exhibit and live bird
displays at HQ.  We will go rain or shine, although Saturday's forecast
is superb.

PARTICIPATION:  Everyone is welcome, SLAS members and non-members.

LUNCH:  Bring your own food and drink for a picnic lunch and snacks as
you like.  As in past years, we'll try to time it so we can take lunch
on the deck of the HQ building and have the opportunity to use the
facilities and enjoy the Open House exhibits.

LEADER:  Mike Thelen

COST:  Free

MORE INFO:  Contact me, or visit http://www.stlouisaudubon.org/

Mike Thelen