Pat,

Check out this video.  While not definitive in all cases it does give some idea of how swifts line up inside a chimney.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7b8PpiNhJg

Scott Laurent
Kansas City, MO

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Pat Lueders <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
According to the count, there was a record 590 Chimney Swifts that roosted in the Clark School chimney last night, near Big Bend & Rock Hill Rds. in Webster Groves.  The largest count we had last year was 338.  It took longer for them to enter and there were more late comers than the previous evenings.  We wonder if they roost from top to bottom, from bottom to top, or randomly grab a spot.  They leave at sunrise in a fairly large group.

Pat Lueders, Webster Groves, MO