Some of these changes really seem odd to me, for example, the Falco genus moving all the way down the list after the woodpeckers!

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO

--- On Mon, 10/1/12, Edge <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Edge <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Taxonomy changes on CACHE/SPARKS
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Monday, October 1, 2012, 10:22 PM

The changes in taxonomy announced by the AOU this summer have dictated changes in the Annotated Checklist of Missouri Birds, and "domino effect" changes in the CACHE/SPARKS materials.  These changes are due to clearer understanding of genetic affinity of species.  The results appear as changes in the order that species appear in checklists.

Examples of changes:

The genera of wood warblers have been reorganized and renamed; the order of species has changed (Ovenbird is now at the head of the list of warblers)

Longspurs and Snow Bunting now appear before warblers

Falcons appear on the taxonomic list after woodpeckers, not immediately after hawks.

The data input form for CACHE and SPARKS now reflects these changes in taxonomic/checklist order.  This means that if you are entering a trip report, you may not find the species you are entering in its familiar place on the form.  This has happened before, and we've all adjusted.  It just takes a little getting used to a new order, meanwhile, hunting and pecking until our brains adjust.

They are all still there, just in a different sequence.  Take a look at the online  Annotated Checklist of Missouri Birds  at
http://www.mobirds.org/RecordsCommittee/MOChecklist.aspx   This will help you anticipate where to look for the species in site checklists and on the data input form.

Bodacious birding!

Edge Wade
ASM Conservation Partnership Coordinator