**
     View online
version<http://email.thoughtfulweb.co.uk/t/r-e-ktdtdkk-ykdikuldn-r/>
     [image:
The Mayor's Thames
Festival]<http://email.thoughtfulweb.co.uk/t/r-l-ktdtdkk-ykdikuldn-i/>
      [image:
14 & 15 September 2013: London's free end-of-summer festival]          *Hello
David* 4 October     “Sweet Thames, run softly, till I end my song”
<http://email.thoughtfulweb.co.uk/t/r-l-ktdtdkk-ykdikuldn-d/>

Today, October 4th, is National Poetry
Day<http://email.thoughtfulweb.co.uk/t/r-l-ktdtdkk-ykdikuldn-h/>
.

To celebrate this we are launching our short film, documenting the
installation of one of this year's key Thames Festival commissions: *Rhyme
in Grime* by ‘clean art’ pioneer
Moose<http://email.thoughtfulweb.co.uk/t/r-l-ktdtdkk-ykdikuldn-k/>.
The film was produced by Chocolate Films in partnership with the Thames
Festival Trust. Click the image above to view the film.

*Rhyme in Grime *brings to life an extract from T.S. Eliot’s *The Waste Land
*, chosen by the founder of National Poetry Day, William Sieghart.

Using only Thames water, pumped through a high pressure jetwasher and
wooden stencils, the poem’s words were cleaned into the stone and wooden
surfaces to impress the poem into the landscape.

The installation, along the riverside walkway from Gabriel’s Wharf to the
OXO Tower jetty, is semi-permanent and will last from 3 months to a year,
until the natural matter of lichen and grime build up and grow over the
text once more. The piece will age and fade naturally over time, sinking
back into the landscape.

*T.S. Eliot’s The Waste Land*

The extract:

*The river’s tent is broken: the last fingers of leaf
Clutch and sink into the wet bank. The wind
Crosses the brown land, unheard. The nymphs are departed.
Sweet Thames, run softly, till I end my song.
The river bears no empty bottles, sandwich papers,
Silk handkerchiefs, cardboard boxes, cigarette ends
Or other testimony of summer nights. The nymphs are departed.
And their friends, the loitering heirs of city directors;
Departed, have left no addresses.
By the waters of Leman I sat down and wept…
Sweet Thames, run softly till I end my song,
Sweet Thames, run softly, for I speak not loud or long.*

Thames Festival Trust aims to develop a series of poetry interventions
along the riverside landscape in the coming year, in partnership with Forward
Arts Foundation<http://email.thoughtfulweb.co.uk/t/r-l-ktdtdkk-ykdikuldn-u/>
.

Extract from 'The Fire Sermon' taken from *The Waste Land* © Estate of T.S.
Eliot, and reprinted by permission of Faber and Faber Ltd.
     **         *If you think projects like this are important, please
support us in our
work.<http://email.thoughtfulweb.co.uk/t/r-l-ktdtdkk-ykdikuldn-o/>
*

We are a registered charity and in addition to support from Arts Council
England and the Mayor of London we need to raise over £1 million to deliver
the festival each year. We only manage to do this via the commitment and
generous support of our corporate partners, core funders and people like
you – our keen supporters who love the work we do.

Find out more about our Festival Friends
scheme<http://email.thoughtfulweb.co.uk/t/r-l-ktdtdkk-ykdikuldn-x/>
.
                     [image: Click to view
online]<http://email.thoughtfulweb.co.uk/t/r-e-ktdtdkk-ykdikuldn-y/>
  [image: Forward newsletter to a
friend]<http://thamesfestival.forwardtomyfriend.com/r-ykdikuldn-F36AA97D-ktdtdkk-l-j>
*www.thamesfestival.org<http://email.thoughtfulweb.co.uk/t/r-l-ktdtdkk-ykdikuldn-m/>
*              Principal Supporters     [image: Mayor of
London]<http://email.thoughtfulweb.co.uk/t/r-l-ktdtdkk-ykdikuldn-c/>
[image:
Supported using public funding by Arts Council
England]<http://email.thoughtfulweb.co.uk/t/r-l-ktdtdkk-ykdikuldn-q/>
  Follow
us     [image: Follow us on
Twitter]<http://email.thoughtfulweb.co.uk/t/r-l-ktdtdkk-ykdikuldn-a/>
[image:
Follow us on Facebook]<http://email.thoughtfulweb.co.uk/t/r-l-ktdtdkk-ykdikuldn-f/>
  Unsubscribe
from this newsletter<http://email.thoughtfulweb.co.uk/t/r-u-ktdtdkk-ykdikuldn-t/>
           The
Thames Festival Trust Registered Office: 108 Stamford Street, London SE1
9NH.
Registered in England No 3577462. Charity No 1074794. VAT No 782 5019 24.