“Cinema of Crisis”

German Film 1928-1936

CfP for a Panel Series

German Studies Association annual conference

Oct. 3-6, 2013, Denver, Colorado

The organizers of this series of panels propose to build on the productive screenings and discussions held at the Thirteenth German Film Institute, May 2012, at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. We are soliciting proposals for presentations on any film or aspect of German film 1928-1936 from all members of the German Studies Association, not only from attendees of the German Film Institute. We would like to receive a broad range of submissions, which we then intend to group under more specific subheadings.

Germany and the German film industry faced profound social, political, economic, technological, and aesthetic changes in the years 1928-1936. At the same time, obvious continuities are also apparent in styles, themes, and personnel from this period. We are interested in explorations of both continuities and changes, the discourses of “Crisis” – both within and about film of the time, industrial and aesthetic configurations, representations of both dominant and marginal identities, and papers addressing methodological or theoretical questions related to the study of German Film 1928-1936.

Please submit 250 word abstracts by January 15, 2013 by e-mail to the panel organizers: Barbara Hales, University of Houston, Clear Lake [log in to unmask]; Mihaela Petrescu, Hobart and William Smith Colleges [log in to unmask]; Valerie Weinstein, University of Cincinnati [log in to unmask]. If you would be willing also to moderate or commentate on a panel, please indicate that on your submission as well. We would appreciate early submissions, so that we have adequate time to assemble this series of panels carefully.