Chrissy's recent sighting of a Prairie Falcon  at TGP brought back memories of my first sighting of a that species in eastern Mo.
In early Nov. 2010 at Portage de Sioux(St. Charles, Mo.?) a report of a juvie Goshawk was reported.  Despite spending hours there, my raptor rehab friend and I didn't see it.  A Coop, yes, Goshawk no.  It was a cloudless day that I remember as if it was yesterday.
We were also treated to a Peregrine Falcon in a tall tree that overlooked the river.  Its crop was full and it stayed there for quite sometime.
We walked a trail that was very open with grasses and other thigh high stuff that included a tree line.  Near the end of the semi-circle, a large falcon flew in and perched in a tree that overlooked this openness.  Crows were quick to scold-incessant.(Why did they leave the Peregrine alone?)  Prolonged scope  views revealed a different bird than what we saw earlier from the parking lot (the Peregrine).
We walked closer and was treated to it lifting off, confirming its identity.  It flew above us and then turned around toward the river and bluffs.  My first Prairie Falcon!  Beautiful!!
I went back to Portage for several more days in search of the Goshawk.  I never saw it or the Prairie Falcon.
I have never mentioned this sighting before on Mobirds.

Thanks Chrissy for a fun reminisce,
Bryan Prather
Sent from my iPhone