I did not find any Crossbills today at Pershing, though I was only in the area
where the Pines are for a short time midday. I did have a fairly good Sparrow
day, and a really good Lincoln's Sparrow day. The highlite was 6 LISP in one
large Multiflora Rose bush, and total of 18 for the day! The best area for
Savannah and LeConte's Sparrows last couple of years has been plowed up as part
of the wetland restoration work going on in the new western addition to the
park. This will be for the best in the long run. I didn't find any LESP today
but had total of 75 SASP in other places. It was nice to see a FOS White-crowned
Sparrow, and 6 White-throated Sparrows.Also saw fair number of Swamp, Song, and
Chipping Sparrows, and couple of Clay-colored. Wrens were scarce, but managed to
coax up 1 Marsh and 5 House Wrens out of the weeds. Had several Common
Yellowthroats and 4 Orange-crowned Warblers, plus a Nashville and a Tennessee. I
pished out single Red-breasted Nuthatches a couple of times, but they were being
very quiet. There were 8-10 Red-headed Woodpeckers in one place, and couple of
Pileated. Red-shouldered Hawks pretty vocal with at least 4 around. One Northern
Harrier up high over the open fields. Nice variety of other usual birds, plus
lots of Insects and Wildflowers on a very nice Fall day!

Later,
Steve Kinder
Chillicothe, Livingston Co.