Took off yesterday afternoon and drove to the large pine stands outside Newburg, MO in search of Red-breasted Nuthatch. I walked approx two miles thru the pines and called up three of the little beauties, Pine Warblers were everywhere as were Chipping Sparrows. One Hermit Thrush, a Barred Owl trying the excape the harrassing Owls, two pair of Hairy Woodpeckers and one calling Yellow-billed Cuckoo, (it looked rain, so it was living up to it's nickname the Rain Crow). Many of the birds you would expect were also active and vocal in a pine and sometimes mixed forest. I love walking the fire lanes and access roads through the National Forest on a still afternoon, just me and the birds.

Mike Doyen
Rolla, MO
Pablo Neruda.

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/