Ten to twelve birders were lucky enough to enjoy a very birdie morning at Tower Grove Park Sunday.   I arrived around 8:30 am to a very quiet bubbler, probably because a Cooper's Hawk was guarding the entrance.  We did see an Ovenbird before wandering the open field east of the bubbler.  We eventually found a large mixed flock of warblers moving thru the trees and followed them for 3 hours.  At one point they stopped in an average-sized tree where we could easily see them, and the sun even came out for a short time.  In that one tree we saw 24 species of birds including 4 woodpecker species, 4 vireo species, 10 warbler species, and 2 flycatchers.   There were large numbers throughout the day of vireos including Philadelphia, Blue-headed, Yellow-throated and Red-eyed.  The most numerous warblers included Nashville, Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Black-throated Green, Black-and-White, and American Redstart.  We followed this mixed flock which at various times also included Red-breasted Nuthatches, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Scarlet & Summer Tanagers, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Carolina Wrens and even Ruby-throated Hummingbirds clock-wise around the park until they began entering the bubbler area.  We hurried into the bubbler area and were treated with over 50 warblers on the ground drinking from the puddle including Golden-winged, Blackburnian, Bay-breasted, Red-breasted Nuthatch, and large numbers of the previously mentioned warblers.  Seeing this gave us an estimate of the size of the flock that we had been following all morning.  Upon leaving the bubbler, they flew north near Magnolia and we also saw a Blue-winged Warbler & more Flycatcher sp.  During the tour around the park we also saw a Canada  & Wilson's Warbler, Gray Catbird, Brown Thrasher, Veery, & Swainson's Thrush.

All of the birders that enjoyed this morning agreed that seeing the 50+ warblers and other species on the ground at the bubbler was a magical birding moment they would never forget!

Pat Lueders, Webster Groves, MO