Yesterday, at Little Dixie CA, Callaway Co., it was with mixed feelings that I watched 2 Yellow-Rumped Warblers (a.k.a. Myrtle Warblers, a.k.a. Butterbutts) feeding with a mixed flock of warblers, vireos (2 of 'em Philadelphia) and my FOS Ruby-crowned Kinglets.

Mixed feelings were because YRWAs are a sure sign that summer is really over; autumn is here and juncos, white-crowns and white-throats are not far behind.  Nothing wrong with that…just that they bring two of my least liked four-letter words:  COLD, SNOW.

The kinglets were watched with more pleasure.  Ruby-crowned Kinglets were the birds I saw that really got me intrigued with birds when they came through in the early spring; and it wasn't until the next September that I realized I had misidentified them.  The joy was then multiplied--seeing them again, knowing I had learned something, and would always know a kinglet when I saw it.

I'll bet every birder remembers a special moment of seeing a bird (or several?) that drew him/her into a new world of wonder.  Take a couple of minutes and bring up a smile or two as you recall yours.

Bodacious birding!

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO

ASM Fall Meeting: Sptember 21-23 at Camp Clover Point, Osage Beach MO