Ten to twelve birders were lucky enough to enjoy a very birdie morning at
Tower Grove Park Sunday.   I arrived around 8:30 am to a very  quiet
bubbler, probably because a Cooper's Hawk was guarding the entrance.   We did see
an Ovenbird before wandering the open field east of the  bubbler.  We
eventually found a large mixed flock of warblers moving thru  the trees and
followed them for 3 hours.  At one point they stopped in an  average-sized tree
where we could easily see them, and the sun even came out for  a short time.
In that one tree we saw 24 species of birds including 4  woodpecker species,
4 vireo species, 10 warbler species, and 2  flycatchers.   There were large
numbers throughout the day of vireos  including Philadelphia, Blue-headed,
Yellow-throated and Red-eyed.   The most numerous warblers included
Nashville, Chestnut-sided, Magnolia,  Black-throated Green, Black-and-White, and
American Redstart.  We followed  this mixed flock which at various times also
included Red-breasted Nuthatches,  Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Scarlet & Summer
Tanagers, Ruby-crowned Kinglets,  Carolina Wrens and even Ruby-throated
Hummingbirds clock-wise around the  park until they began entering the bubbler
area.  We hurried into the  bubbler area and were treated with over 50
warblers on the ground drinking  from the puddle including Golden-winged,
Blackburnian, Bay-breasted,  Red-breasted Nuthatch, and large numbers of the
previously mentioned  warblers.  Seeing this gave us an estimate of the size of the
flock that we  had been following all morning.  Upon leaving the bubbler,
they flew north  near Magnolia and we also saw a Blue-winged Warbler & more
Flycatcher  sp.  During the tour around the park we also saw a Canada  &
Wilson's Warbler, Gray Catbird, Brown Thrasher, Veery, & Swainson's  Thrush.

All of the birders that enjoyed this morning agreed that seeing the 50+
warblers and other species on the ground at the bubbler was a magical birding
moment they would never forget!

Pat Lueders, Webster Groves, MO