Greetings,

In recent days, I have had the need to drive to neighboring towns Sikeston and Poplar Bluff. In doing so, I have been observing several Northern Harriers; all as of yet are either female/juvenile-types.

The number of Red-tailed Hawks also appear to be on the increase or potentially more are perching nearer the roadways I have travelled.

A quick jaunt to Otter Slough CA Sunday morning before church yielded an amazing array of birds where for 40+ minutes, I didn't move a step. The leaves were a blurr of shuttering movement as branches quivered under the birds' weight. Truly a wonderful morning to be out. Of note were several waterthrushes, at least two Golden-winged Warblers (one of which came close to within 10 feet to check this two-legged beast out), an Ovenbird (always the shy guy/gal), and what I thought was going to be the warbler of the day based on numbers - the Chestnut-sided Warbler. However, a late showing of a loose flock of American Redstarts quickly outnumbered all other species.

Finally a morning I've dreamed about for a long while!

Righteous Birding My Friends!

Chris Barrigar

Stoddard Co.
Bloomfield, MO

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in."   JOHN MUIR