The Waste Land and the ritual of transmutation

When facts get transmuted into artifacts, the latter acquire a life of their own.
"Those are pearls that were his eyes. Look!"

CR

        From: Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]>
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Sent: Sunday, September 9, 2012 12:53 PM
 Subject: Re: Ritual and Experiment in &#39;The Waste Land&#39;

It is apropos to post again what belongs here.
&#39;Ritual and Experiment in Modern Poetry&#39; by Jacob Korgpp. 41-42, beginning with:
//In concluding his chapter on Eliot&#39;s attraction to primitivism, William Skaff writes, "Eliot wrote three long poems which are rituals. Eliot the poet performs through poetry the same rite that the ritualistic structure would dictate a religious celebrant to perform. Early evidence of Eliot&#39;s commitment to ritual appears in the paper he read at a Harvard seminar in 1913 defending the mystical
 insight of primitive ritual. ... //

http://books.google.com/books?id=IUHvdHCSs5gC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
CR