Amen!
CR

________________________________
 From: David Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, September 8, 2012 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: The Waste Land: text & contexts

PS

Furthermore (same source)

DEARLY beloved brethren, the
Scripture moveth us, in sundry places, to acknowledge and confess our manifold
sins and wickedness.......

(I was privileged to be able to attend a lecture last evening, , locally, given by one of British Airways former Concorde Captain pilots; and had to stifle my sense of 'humour' when it came to question time at the end, when I was tempted to ask whether the very great success of Concorde was the result of the project having enjoyed prescient Divine Blessing - as in same Book of Common Prayer:-

O God, who art the author of peace and lover of Concorde.........)

Cf eg the Prayer of Humble Access from The Book of Common Prayer:-

We do not presume to come to this thy Table, O merciful Lord, trusting in our own righteousness, but in thy manifold and great mercies. We are not worthy so much as to gather up the crumbs under thy Table.......

Manifold, at least in UK English is still used to describe a multiple supply or receiving device - thus an exhaust manifold, collecting the exhaust gases from each cylinder of an automobile engine, or a h

The Waste Land: text & contexts