Interesting. I am definitely reconsidering my opinion of Wiki in general.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Mcluhan] Roth: An Open Letter to Wikipedia
From: Eric McLuhan <[log in to unmask]>
To: Discussion of McLuhan-related topics <[log in to unmask]>
CC:

I have had a similar experience with mine and my father's material. For example, their entry on "the medium is the message" is seriously flawed and, in general, wrong. Heaven knows hpw many people have used this erroneous explanation as gospel and quoted it in papers, etc. I tried to point oiut the errors and indicate where to find the truth (I quoted McLuhan's own explanation from the 2nd or 3rd paragraph of Chapter 1 of Understanding Media) and was told that they did not consider my opinions to be persuasive. I tried agaijn a few months later, and was told essentially the same thing. Curious: they could have checked my quotation quite easily.
Andrew, my sopn, has recently tried to correct an error or two in the Wiki article on Marshall, and got the same treatment. Upshot: do not trust anything you get on Wiki. It is, though, a good source for what the crowd thinks about this or that.
Eric