Maybe he was averse to lecturing. Some people find it very hard to do.
Peter

David Boyd <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Lawrence can nonetheless be seen in a broad sense as a religious poet?

Whilst not citing the correspondent, for reason of privacy, this is an interesting impression of Leavis, sent to me privately:-

I saw Leavis lecture once, in Manchester, and I can't recall anything, except that he seemed to be permanently boiling with suppressed anger - it was not clear what about. The highlight was when an 'end of class' bell went off whilst he was reciting a speech from Othello to introduce some point (his lecture had overrun badly). His silent rage was quite a sight.....

On 27 September 2012 18:35, Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
David Boyd
> F.R. Leavis during the 1940s in Scrutiny very savagely attacked Bethell -
suspect
> he was a bit of a psychopath, who had feelings of hate towards avowed
Christians
> such as Bethell (although he seems to have exempted T.S. Eliot from his
usual
> venom.)

Leavis's hero was D.H. Lawrence, hardly a Christian writer. He was always
objectionably irascible, and simply could not understand any attempt to
theorize literature. See his interchange with Wellek. His 'basis' for
reading a text seems to have been a sort of unconscious psedudo mysticism:
One just 'felt' it. Probably his utter inability to understand Dickens is an
index to his perspective.

Carrol