The following additional panels are still accepting submissions:

"Close Reading Today" Andrew Franta, Department of English, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112; [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

>From I. A. Richards and the New Criticism to deconstruction and the New Historicism, various forms of close reading have long been at the center of literary studies. Recent trends in scholarship have turned away from close reading, either implicitly (cultural studies) or explicitly (¡°surface¡± or ¡°distant¡± reading). In light of these developments, as well as the renewed interest in form and formalism, this panel will consider the place of close reading in eighteenth-century and literary studies today. What role do interpretations of individual texts play in historicist and interdisciplinary scholarship? What is the relationship between close and distant reading? What is the status of sustained attention to textual detail in the return to form? What are the intellectual, disciplinary, and institutional rationales for close reading?

¡°Marginalia¡± (The Goethe Society of North America) BirgitTautz, Bowdoin College, 700 College Station, Department of German, Bowdoin College, Brusnwick, ME 04011-8477; Tel:
(207) 798-7079<tel:%28207%29%20798-7079>; Fax: (207) 725- 3348<tel:%28207%29%20725-%203348>; E-mail: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

The panel proposes to examine Marginalia in Goethe and, more broadly, eighteenth century German texts, culture, and lives. ¡°Marginalia¡± are understood literally (i.e., notes,
comments, pictures, and decorative elements in the margins of books) as well as more figuratively. While the panel seeks to emphasize the former, we also will consider papers
that draw attention to forgotten, lost, or otherwise marginalized texts; papers illuminating how a marginal detail alters a domineering story; papers that reflect on how scholarly
developments (e.g., interdisciplinarity, transnational collaboration and approaches, technology/digital humanities) enable the focus on marginalia.

¡°Unromantic Charlotte Smith¡± Jonathan Sadow, 314 Netzer Administration Building, Dept. of English, SUNY Oneonta, Oneonta, NY 13820; Tel: (607) 436-2459<tel:%28607%29%20436-2459>; Fax: (607) 436-3460<tel:%28607%29%20436-3460>; E
mail: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Though Charlotte Smith¡¯s poetry tends to be apprehended by its relationship to romanticism, this panel will seek papers that view her poems and other work through the
lens of earlier eighteenth-century discourse. Her relationship to prior works of poetry and poetic genres is an obvious topic of interest, but so might be her relationship to science,
natural history, aesthetics, print, and other areas.

¡°Early Interventions: Uses and Abuses of ¡°New¡± Substances in Eighteenth-Century Culture¡± Mary Crone-Romanovski, 8390 Orchard Knoll Lane, Columbus, OH 43235; Tel:
(614) 314-6362<tel:%28614%29%20314-6362>; E-mail: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

This panel invites explorations of the treatment of ¡°substances¡± in eighteenth-century literature and culture. Such substances might include tea, coffee, chocolate, sugar, rum,
gin, or tobacco, to name a few. Eighteenth-century uses of these items ranged from the mundane (an ordinary item on the tea table) to the taboo (public drunkenness) to the
political (boycotts of sugar to protest slavery). This panel seeks to better understand the range of uses and abuses of these relatively ¡°new¡± substances in eighteenth-century life:
How were these items represented in literature, on the stage, or in visual culture? To what uses were they put in everyday life, the political arena, or the medical profession?
What potential is there for using a history of substance use/abuse in the period to help us better understand twenty-first-century conceptions of the legal, economic, and social
importance of substances and substance-abuse? The panel welcomes multi-disciplinary approaches to these questions and others related to the treatment of substances in
eighteenth-century culture.

¡°Critics on Poetry and Poets on Critics in the Long Eighteenth Century¡± Taylor Corse, Dept. of English, Arizona State U., Tempe, AZ 85287-0302; E-mail: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Proposals welcomed on any topic dealing with eighteenth century criticism of poetry and eighteenth century poetry about literary criticism.

The Arab Spring and the Enlightenment (Roundtable) (New Lights Forum: Contemporary Perspectives on the Enlightenment) Lee Morrissey, Dept. of English, 801 Strode, Box 340523, Clemson U., Clemson, SC 29634; Tel: (864-656-3151<tel:%28864-656-3151>; E-mail: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

14Possible questions include: is the Arab Spring a contemporary manifestation of an Enlightenment ideal (e.g., public sphere, democratization)?; is the Arab Spring a consequence of the Enlightenment colonialisms (e.g., demographic categorization, European intervention under the heading of the universal)?; what does the Arab Spring offer to the study of the Enlightenment (e.g., the limits of the secularization thesis)?

Has the Age of Reason Become Unreasonable?: Contemporary Perspectives on Post Enlightenment Legacies (New Lights Forum: Contemporary Perspectives on the Enlightenment) Jennifer Vanderheyden, Marquette U., Tel: (508) 981-0495<tel:%28508%29%20981-0495>; E-mail: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

In a recent speech at a symposium at the University of Missouri on the 1994 Rwandan genocide, retired Canadian General and Senator Romeo Dallaire made the following statement: ¨Dambiguity and complexity are the norms in our world, in which deductive reasoning will be too slow.¡¬ How does the immediacy of global technology affect reason as it was defined and understood during the long Eighteenth Century ? Do philosophical theories of the Eighteenth Century still resonate in this digitally advanced era on the one hand, and political and economic disorder on the other? This panel invites discussion of any Eighteenth century genre (philosophy, fiction and non-fiction, aesthetics, etc.), in terms of its legacy on contemporary thought.

Unraveling Clothing Codes: Female Fashion, Costumes and Performance in the Hispanic World. Ana Mar¨ªa D¨ªaz Burgos. Department of Spanish and Portuguese, Miami University. Irvin Hall Room 268. 400 E. Spring Street. Oxford Ohio 45056. Fax: 513-5291807<tel:513-5291807>. E-mail: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Although Bourbon reforms aimed to modify socioeconomic classifications by means of doctrine and law in the Hispanic world, women managed to re-appropriate use clothing to re-shape their behavior both inwards and outwards. Consequently fashion, costumes and performance played a significant role in the art passing as someone else. By altering uses of clothing, women affected and challenged the ways in which they were supposed to perform their role as mothers, wives, nuns, actresses, and/or prostitutes. The ambiguity and overlapping of these varied roles resulted in difficulties to firmly fix women into an established category. These difficulties raise questions such as: What were the moral and socioeconomic implications of crossing borders and breaking laws by means of re-defining clothing and its uses? To what extent does a variety of clothing expressions such as fabrics, uses, and performance modify the perception of women's socioeconomic, racial or religious identity?
This panel takes these questions as a point of departure, and will include diverse attempts to answer them throughout the long Hispanic eighteenth century.

--
Vickie Cutting
Office Manager