My first attempt to find the Tricolored Heron failed after I searched for this
bird at Lake 33 for nearly an hour. Birds I saw there were: Great Blue Heron,
Great Egret, Snowy Egret (2) - my first at Busch CA), Green Heron (2),
Canada Goose, Killdeer, Spotted Sandpiper (1), Double-crested Cormorant,
Wood Duck, American Crow, Eastern Kingbird (1), Mourning Dove, Barn
Swallow, and Tree Swallow. I saw at least five Rudy-throated Hummingbirds at
the feeders at the headquarter building. Then I went north to Winfield sandy
slough and found a good number of shorebirds but the diversity was not great.
The shorebirds I found there were Killdeer, Pectoral Sandpiper ( the most
numerous after Killdeer), Semipalmated Plover, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Least
Sandpiper, Spotted Sandpiper, and Baird's Sandpiper ( I found only 2 or 3 out
of over a hundred).  After that, I went back to Lake 33, and this time the
attempt was successful. It was a juvenile Tricolored Heron and it became No.
301 on my Missouri life list. I have seen Tricolored Herons in Florida, North
Carolina, and Bahamas (last March). It was my first in Missouri.

Good birding,
Jim Hickner

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/