You should be able to walk to view the back shore from the hunting access
road parking lot just southwest of the boats parking lot.
Would have to go thru some woods and field though.
I used this access in 2005 to get around the cove and set up a blind out on
the point.

GoogleEarth path view
http://www.photosbyat.com/photos/2004288232_LdWNg4M-XL.jpg
2005 gallery
http://www.photosbyat.com/Birds/Birding-2005/2005-10-22-Busch-Wildlife/904473_jrsqR7

Al Smith
Bridgeton
St. Louis County

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 13:40:00 -0500, Bryan Prather <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>After my sighting I went to the HQ building for clarification of the rules
and to apologize so as not to give birders a black eye.
>Jim Malone is absolutely correct- stay on the gravel parking lot.
>My scope view from what is now a no no locale revealed the bird preening.
This was not an obvious bird to see as it was obscured by stumps and Great
Egrets.  I saw the white line down its neck, the contrasting underwing, and
the white under belly.  A beautiful bird that I hope stays around in a more
convenient viewing area for others to enjoy.  A life bird for me.