Even with the dry conditions, I was shocked the other day when I drove across the Hwy 36 bridge and saw there was NO water south of the bridge in Locust Creek at Pershing State Park!! I went back this morning to walk down, and see how dry it really was. That part of the creek only had a few isolated small pools that had not dried up. there is still a good big pool on down north of the boardwalk and up along the hills where the Campground and Picnic areas are. North of the bridges for the half mile or so I walked was also almost completely dried up  I have never seen it that dry! I wondered later if maybe there is some work going on farther upstream as other streams in this area are very low but not that dry? I will try and find out more tomorrow. Anyway while walking I saw a NOWA south of the bridges, and then another one north. They are a little early - big surprise this year - Robbins and Easterla give mid August for first ones coming south, with the 8th as earliest date. These were both the yellowish phase, actively feeding around the edges of small pools of water. An American Woodcock flew up from the waters edge at another place. Had close look at couple of foraging Pileated Woodpeckers, had Barred Owl fly across, heard Wood Thrush and YB Cuckoo, but pretty quiet otherwise while I was there between 9 and 11 a.m. There were still a half dozen or so Cliff Swallows going to nests under the bridge, and an Eastern Phoebe hanging around near a nest, plus 3 fledgling Rock Pigeons.

Later,
Steve Kinder
Chillicothe, Livingston Co.