A team of birders and a biologist spotted a Bobolink today!  Since our checklist states it’s rare/uncommon, we felt it was worth mentioning.  The Bobolink was spotted off the auto tour route in a closed area during a survey; however, from the auto tour route, keep your eyes open on the northeast side of the loop near the pump house, Davis Creek, and look towards the grass fields.  These areas are protected for the Massassauga Rattlesnake, so please don’t leave the auto tour route.  (Respect the signage.)

The staff at Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge has been working so hard throughout the years to improve and expand the prairie habitat.  Perhaps we’ll get more next year?  So kudos to the staff!

Christine Kline

Pleasant Hill, MO ~ Cass County