I received this email regarding color-marked shorebirds and wanted to share it with all of you since we are starting to see shorebirds in our MO areas.

Pat Lueders, Webster Groves, MO

Subject: Shorebird Color-Marking Research

Dear Birders,

Shorebird migration is in full swing!  Our crews started 2 weeks ago
banding and color-marking shorebirds as they migrate south through the
southwest Lake Erie Marsh Region.  So far, we have banded 10 different species and are seeing numbers and diversity increase every day!

Our research will collect valuable information which will be used to
improve habitat management strategies for this important stopover area.
But, we need your help to ensure this project is successful in collecting
the greatest amount of information possible.

As part of the project, our researchers will be capturing, leg banding, and
color-marking shorebirds on their breast feathers.  The color-marking is a
temporary marking which enables information to be collected on the
movements and habitats used by the migrating birds.

You can help with this project by seeking out color-marked shorebirds
during your birding adventures this fall.  When you are lucky enough to
spot a color-marked shorebird, record information on the color of the
marking, your location, the type of habitat the bird is using, and the
bird=92s behavior; report your sighting to Keith Norris (
,
(217)855-6324).  More information, pictures of color-marked shorebirds, and
a convenient data sheet are available on the Black Swamp Bird Observatory=
=92s
website (Click Here<
http://www.bsbobird.org/pdf/Shorebird_Migration_Researc=
h_Form.pdf>).

While our research is being conducted in northwest Ohio, others outside of
the region might catch a glimpse of a color-marked bird as well!  Birds
marked last fall were spotted in southwest Michigan and northeast Ohio.

When you see one of these color-marked birds, take comfort in knowing that
bird is contributing to the conservation of shorebird habitat and our
understanding of shorebird migration ecology.  And don=92t forget to send i=
your sighting!

The color-marking operation is one aspect of a larger research project.
This entire study will provide insights on:

   - Body mass dynamics of migrating shorebirds
   - Food and habitat resources available for migrating shorebirds
   - Local shorebird movements and stopover duration

The results of this research will be used to improve the =93Shorebird Habit=
at
Conservation Strategy=94 developed by the Upper Mississippi River & Great
Lakes Region Joint Venture.  If you have any questions about our research
or our preliminary findings, please contact Keith Norris ([log in to unmask]=
).