Friday morning at 7am I was birding the Audubon Trails Nature Center in Rolla, while talking to the cedar harvester and removal guy up along the savanna fire line I notice many Brown Thrashers about, maybe as many as a dozen or more. I also visited an number of other know Brown Thrasher hangouts in Rolla and found three or four here and there. I do not know for sure but I am thinking our resident Brown Thrasher are gathering for the flight South, I have seen Brown Thrashers on the Christmas Bird Count so I know those further North work their way South through the summer and fall like most migrants. What ever the reason it was cool to see so many Brown Thrashers around town.

By the way our nature center has a 10 acre remnant prairie, we will have our first burn this fall. The seed heads in this small remnant prairie are as old as the Ozarks themselves, we cannot wait to see what nature gives us next spring. For those of you who do not know ASM is our partner on this project and we could not of proceeded with the prairie/savanna restoration without their financial assistance; thanks again ASM, without your help we would not even be close to a fall burn.

Mike Doyen
Rolla, MO
Pablo Neruda.