Nine birders showed up for our annual sweat-fest at Clarence Cannon, but we were lucky as the day started at 70 degrees and was only headed to the low nineties, vice the extreme heat that we had seen prior and is forecast for this week.  With over half the participants leaders, it was an easy walk for me to lead.  Thanks go to Mike Thelen, Dick Palmer, Pat Lueders and David Becher for finding birds that I surely would have missed, and to other birders that we ran into out there that had found some target species, like Black-necked Stilt and surprises like Wilson’s Snipe and Mississippi Kite.  David Becher found the very distant Upland Sandpiper using a technique that he called, “dumb luck”.  I found out that the song of the Sedge Wren starts out very similar to the song of a Dickcissel, meaning that I need to practice the technique called, “patience” and let the bird finish before I call it out…

Patience also turned a distant hawk feeding on the ground into a Red-shouldered well after most of us were content to call it a Red-tailed.

It was entertaining to watch the three Kites that we saw go into stoops to nail the dragonflies that were on the surface of the water.

CC NWR was not as wet as we had hoped, and most of the shorebirds were a good distance from us.

SPECIES SEEN

From 7/21/2012 to 7/21/2012 ~ All Places ~ 69 seen

DUCKS, GEESE, AND WATERFOWL

Canada Goose