It was a little cooler this morning (still on rain) and I thought that it would be good for shorebirds at the oxbow lakes south of Saint Joseph. Duh!

The number of species and the number of birds was greatly reduced for some reason. Still pretty good numbers of Pectoral, Semipalmated, Least and Stilt Sandpiper with a few Semipalmated Plovers (and, of course, always present Killdeer). But no American Avocet, Ruddy Turnstone, dowitchers, Solitary or Spotted Sandpipers. No other shorebirds present that I could detect except for a Baird's Sandpiper which brought my total of shorebirds for the morning to seven (7). That was quite a let down given the previous several days.

Also, there were no gulls or terns to be seen. There were still a lot of Great Blue Herons and Great Egrets, a couple of Green Herons. One Pied-billed Grebe.

The bird of the day for me was a BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON. That was bird # 245 for the year in Missouri for me. I am not sure how I managed to miss this one in the spring of the year, but I did.

I only managed 50 bird species for the time spent out this morning around the oxbows.

Hopefully, things will pick back up for the shorebirds in the remaining days of July and into August!

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO