Yesterday morning Keith Brink and I drove around the oxbow lakes area south of Saint Joseph and recorded 40+ species of birds. It is very hot and dry in the area. We found all five species of the expected swallows and ten (10) species of shorebirds. The shorebirds were mostly on Horseshoe Lake (Buchanan County) and Lake Contrary. There were only Killdeer on Muskrat Lake.

Shorebirds seen:
Semipalmated Plover
Killdeer
Solitary Sandpiper
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Upland Sandpiper (1)
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Stilt Sandpiper

* Keith thought he also saw a Sanderling in the mix.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO