I have been hearing and seeing Upland Sandpipers for the last 6 days at
Bradford Farm in Columbia.  There is a lot of suitable habitat and I've
seen them during all times of day, but mostly in the morning and along the
recently mowed areas surrounding the research fields, and around the
retreating west pond.  One morning last week I had one circle the field I
was in for 5 - 10 minutes, landing then flying off loudly calling that
"...weird, unearthly, bubbling whistle...", trying to find a spot where the
grass was suitable for both foraging and hiding.  Tonight, I found one
perched in the open on a rock by the west pond.  I got my scope out to get
a proper view and it started to move, but I did manage a bad photo.

Upland Sandpiper Bradford Farm 07-24-2012
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q322/middleboo/Bradford%20Farm%20July%202012/Upland_Sandpiper_Bradford_07-24-2012.jpg

As I was leaving tonight, I showed the picture to the farm superintendent
Tim Reinbott.  He said he had a picture to show me of a bird he and a few
others had seen a couple days before.  They had never seen a bird like this
before at Bradford Farm.  We went out to where they saw it and had no luck
relocating it.  Tim emailed me the photos and I'm fairly certain it is a
juvenile male Ring-necked Pheasant.  Tim's first question was "Where do you
think it came from?".  Since I've only been here a few months, I thought
that would be a good question for the listserv.

Ring-necked Pheasant Bradford Farm
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q322/middleboo/Bradford%20Farm%20July%202012/Ring-necked_Pheasant_Bradford.jpg

Are these birds common in mid-Missouri?  Does anyone have any insight on
where this bird could have come from?  Is there an established population
close to Columbia, or in the immediate area of Bradford Farm?

Thanks.

Andrew