I have been watching a pair of Scissor tails at White River Trace for the past 30 to 40 days, today I saw the whole family, two adults and four fledglings. I expect they fledged yesterday or the day before for they will not leave the nest tree. They also do not have the distinctive Scissor tail tail, which will come along shortly. It was fun watching the parents bring back food but fly to different part of tree each time so the fledgling had to fly to the parents to eat; Smart those parents. Dragonflys were the insect de jour as this section of the trace is covered with them right now. The dragonfly's are also doing their job well because there was hardly a smaller flying invertebrate to be seen including mosquitoes.

This is the first recorded Scissor tail Flycatcher nesting and hatching on the trace. It is very close to where I watched three Loggerhead Shrike fledged 8 years ago.

It rained hard in Dent County yesterday so I had the opportunity to walk in mud and get my pants leg wet in the tall grass, felt good.

Mike Doyen
Rolla, MO
Pablo Neruda.