I understand the WOST were seen off and on today. They disappear for awhile when they are out feeding, but have been coming back to same place to rest and preen. May need some patience if you go looking for them, and need to keep checking back later if not there.

I took my boat back down today and paddled around before the water gets any lower. It has dropped about a foot from when I last did it two weeks ago. Steve Whitson, the Mgr. is to be commended as he is putting a little more water in. It is gravity flow down the channels from Silver Lake. Won't be able to do much more unless we start getting more rain however, as have to keep enough to put in there, and the other pools for fall Waterfowl migration.

I paddled around Swan Lake pool this morning and found these birds;

Wood Duck - 50, including young ones of various sizes
Mallard - 10
BW Teal - 2
Hooded Merganser - 1
PB Grebe - at least a dozen with several young ones
White Pelican- 20
DC Cormorant - 45
Least Bittern - 13
SORA - 1  - listed as Casual in Summer
Lesser Yellowlegs - 1
Pectoral Sandpiper - 1
Belted Kingfisher - 4-5
GH Owl - 1

This afternoon I paddled NE part of Silver Lake. A Sedge Wren was singing near the road, and a Willow Flycatcher was singing farther back as I pulled in on the gravel road, south side of blacktop E. - This area is know locally as Taylor Point, but not listed so on the refuge map. Other birds I observed while on the lake;

Wood Duck - another dozen or more - interesting watching a female with 4 babies that were all different sizes!
Pelican - 8
Cormorant - 10
Bald Eagle - 1 adult and 1 Juvenile doing a lot of screeching/begging
Least Sandpiper - 3
Ring-billed Gull - 3
Black Tern - 5
Forester's Tern - 12
Marsh Wren - 1
Yellow Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
YB Chat

Several Sedge Wrens were also singing same place as yesterday. Song Sparrows singing all over.

Nice calm day, but did get pretty hot.

Later,
Steve Kinder
Chillicothe, Livingston Co.