This is a great closing. I'm wondering how you connect it with the line about Hector. This is written in English of course, so we know what Auden was specifically saying. Do you know what would be the most definitive translation of the line about Hector?

But would it not be a kenning and thus a standard kind of phrase in such an epic?
Best,
Nancy

The thin-lipped armorer,
Hephaestos, hobbled away,
Thetis of the shining breasts
Cried out in dismay
At what the god had wrought
To please her son, the strong
Iron-hearted man-slaying Achilles
Who would not live long.

>>> "Shapiro, Fred" 07/12/12 8:01 PM >>>
There is a major poem by another poet that ends with a formula: W. H. Auden, "The Shield of Achilles."

Fred Shapiro
Editor
YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS (Yale University Press)