 From: P <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:03 PM
Subject: Re: TS Eliot: "Light / Light"

After forty-odd years of teaching, I find myself tending to agree with Eliot. Still,
// I can't help wondering what his response to the deduction of the big bang
would have been. //
P.

Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

The Wittenberg Door

SUNDAY, JUNE 24, 2012

Opening Stanza of T. S. Eliot's Choruses from the Rock:

The Eagle soars in the summit of Heaven,
The Hunter with his dogs pursues his circuit.

O perpetual revolution of configured stars,
O perpetual recurrence of determined seasons,
O world of spring and autumn, birth and dying

The endless cycle of idea and action,
Endless invention, endless experiment,
Brings knowledge of motion, but not of stillness;
Knowledge of speech, but not of silence;
Knowledge of words, and ignorance of the Word.
All our knowledge brings us nearer to our ignorance,
All our ignorance brings us nearer to death,
But nearness to death no nearer to GOD.
Where is the Life we have lost in living?
Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?
The cycles of Heaven in twenty centuries
Bring us farther from GOD and nearer to the Dust.

http://wittenberg-door.blogspot.com/2011/08/notable-quote-ts-eliot.html

creative joy!

CR