From: P <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, July 5, 2012 10:48 PM
Subject: Fwd: RE: Eliot's Poetic Drama (was Eliot on Marston)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Eliot's Poetic Drama (was Eliot on Marston)
From: Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
CC:

So now we should discuss this important passage which you highlighted and
perhaps see if and how it applies to Eliot

"by giving us the sense of something behind, more real than any of his
personages and their action, that Marston established himself among the
writers of genius"
 Eliot's plays are famous for their apparent mediocritiy. If there is a
reality behind the personages' actions, it is so well dsguised that is never
discussed. One curiosity is that as far back as TWL, Eliot refers to the
enacted entities in his plays as "PERSONAGES" rather
than characters, &c. There is a sort of background resonance in Sweeney
Agonistes. It is so strong it makes one want the rest of the play.
Certainly some of the characters are two dimensional, but Sweeney himself is
definitely 3D and very mysterious. Some of that
resonance has to do with the slum character of the setting.

I for one would certainly welcome further discussion on the topic.
Personally I blame Martin Browne for misguiding Eliot in the presentation
of his characters.

Cheers,
Peter