I'm so sorry, Peter, it took me a while to unravel the mystery of your astute allusion to Henry James' Figure in the Carpet vis-a-vis Drew's The Design of [Eliot's] poetry. Both are about decoding the mystery of a design!

Thanks,
  CR

________________________________
 From: Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:19 AM
Subject: Re: A design for Eliot's poetry

Peter, you seem to be mixing Henry James' short story 'The Figure in the Carpet' and 'T. S. Eliot: The Pattern in the Carpet' by Elisabeth Schneider. Happens.

An interesting remark by Eliot in his essay on Kipling: "We look, in a poet as well as in a novelist, for what Henry James called the Figure in the Carpet."

CR