When the complete prose is out, granting there will still be letters coming and some will never see print, it would be interesting to have an industrious graduate student or two track down some of these Eliot/non-Eliot quotes in dissertations analyzing both the origins of the (non-)quotes and more importantly their lives in print. It's one thing, for example, to have a third-hand report of E being dismissive of TWL; it's another to see what places that unverifiable statement takes in the growing body and dynamics of Eliot criticism. For the current quote in question I agree with Peter that the sentiments do not ring Eliotic. Probably not Yeats, either (what could beat "Cast a cold eye on life, on death"?)

Ken A