When the complete prose is out, granting there will still be letters
coming and some will never see print, it would be interesting to have an
industrious graduate student or two track down some of these
Eliot/non-Eliot quotes in dissertations analyzing both the origins of
the (non-)quotes and more importantly their lives in print. It's one
thing, for example, to have a third-hand report of E being dismissive of
TWL; it's another to see what places that unverifiable statement takes
in the growing body and dynamics of Eliot criticism. For the current
quote in question I agree with Peter that the sentiments do not ring
Eliotic. Probably not Yeats, either (what could beat "Cast a cold eye on
life, on death"?)

Ken A