Tom,

  Your post below is a real tour de force. Not commenting on the Ig Nobel, it seems fair to say that Hawking represents the side of the materialists in Eliot's statement (from memory) that ultimately there are two and only two tenable hypotheses about life, the catholic and the materialist. If I'm reading your argument right and other commentators such as Stephen Barr, the rising spin of activity of the "new atheists" (materialists) likely corresponds to the end of the phase of materialism they represent, "scientism." As any student of McLuhan knows, things only gain force and names when they have become obsolete, and it appears that is is science that is undercutting scientism.

Ken A