On 7/12/2012 9:29 AM, Richard Seddon wrote:

> If you are at all interested there is a very recent popularization (mathless) of cosmological theory,  "A Universe From Nothing" by Lawrence M Krauss which discusses in some detail how the universe might have gotten to the big bang.  He is of the "anti-God" faith so may be offensive to some.

    I heard an interview of Krauss a few weeks ago, probably on one of
the NPR or PRI interview radio programs, don't remember which one. He's
definitely one of those "new scientists" who clearly doesn't understand
philosophy and is happy highhandedly to dismiss it. His inability to
grasp the concept of "nothing" would have been funny had it been meant
to be funny. As it was, he expected it to be taken seriously (turns out
nothing is something, so don't trouble yourselves with that age old "why
is there something rather than nothing" conundrum....)    After that
dodge, I turned the radio off, tho he may have something legit to say
about cosmology once he gets on to science and off of anything else. But
I'd keep an eye on the baby all the same...

Ken A