Close of the Dunciad:

Lo: thy dread empire, Chaos, is restored;
Light dies before thy uncreating word:
Thy hand, great Anarch! lets the curtain fall;
And universal darkness buries all.
	-------
The dunces, the worshippers of the Goddess, are put in the poem not mainly
because they write badly, though many of them did, but because they misused
poetry and criticism for their own personal purposes. In the epic games of
Book 2, there is a diving contest, & the eventual winner does not at first
reappear and all believe him drowned in the Thames. Then he pops to the
surface, telling tales of his entertainment by various personified bits of
shit at the bottom of the river: an extended metaphor for pollution of the
public mind.  (My paraphrase is not quite accurate since I have no access to
the text.) The critics in the poem tend use the poet to swell their own ego
rather than to illuminate the poet's text. The young Pope, barely out of his
teens, had developed this theme of responsible versus irresponsible literary
commentary  in his Essay on Criticism.

Carrol