Tom,

 Before one more tree falls on one more power line or internet services vacate again, let me say thanks for this thoughtful and provocative response, and I stand corrected about the distinction between scientific materialism and scientific reductionism (which seems a contradiction in terms, but otherwise is what I'm taking to be "scientism"). I've got a couple questions about "design" and what "fundamental" means, I think, but need to rake my unscientific mind over the coals of your better informed post once or twice more...

Ken A