Tom,

  Before one more tree falls on one more power line or internet services
vacate again, let me say thanks for this thoughtful and provocative
response, and I stand corrected about the distinction between scientific
materialism and scientific reductionism (which seems a contradiction in
terms, but otherwise is what I'm taking to be "scientism"). I've got a
couple questions about "design" and what "fundamental" means, I think,
but need to rake my unscientific mind over the coals of your better
informed post once or twice more...

Ken A