From: Rickard A Parker <[log in to unmask]>;
To: <[log in to unmask]>;
Subject: OT - Book Art
Sent: Thu, Jul 19, 2012 10:07:19 PM

Book Art

A short while ago Peter Montgomery forwarded me an email with some fascinating pictures of sculptures fashioned from books. We thought that it would be nice to share with the list but it was over 3 MB with the attached pictures.  I broke out the data from the email and tracked down the URLs of the original photos. A simple program processed the data to generate it in a few formats.

Before going on and talking about how to access the pictures let me say that I really only processed the email I got. The descriptions are neither mine nor Peter's. I've only included the guts of the email, leaving off some things. There are a few mistakes.

I thought that there were many better examples visible at the links on the pages described by "Image found via".

Further below is the easiest way to present the data but it really isn't much good. I include it because the list archive search feature can be used to track down the pictures after my temporary webpages are gone.

For those of you with really fast internet service I have a webpage that will show all the pictures at once on one simple (and smallish) page. It is located at: http://www.theworld.com/~raparker/temp/book-art.html

A second webpage version is meant for those with slow access. It is a framed page where clicking on a link in a scrollable list on the left will display the picture in the canvas window on the right. It is located at: http://www.theworld.com/~raparker/temp/book-art-framer.html

If you want to download this webpage (the framed one) to your computer for your own use you need to download this file also which is invoked by book-art-framer.html: http://www.theworld.com/~raparker/temp/book-art-framed.html

Enjoy.

A Fun Time With Knowledge

This book sculpture features very detailed skeleton sculptures and old school music player, but what made this sculpture really special is the fact that nobody knows who created it -- the artwork was delivered to a library or certain event secretly.

By: chrisdonia
Image URL: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7180/6926024307_96c7d92fe1_z.jpg
Image found via: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisdonia/6926024307/

Plant of Appreciation.

Another secretly delivered book sculpture with aggressive details. Next to the tree sits a paper egg lined with gold and quoted parts from the poem "A Trace of Wings" by Edwin Morgan.

By: chrisdonia
Image URL: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6006/6003326550_c107021088_z.jpg
Image found via: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisdonia/6003326550/

Teabreak.

A sculpture with beauty and elegance crafted in. It was found at the Edinburgh International Book Festival with the tag, reading 'To @edbookfest "A gift" This is for you in support of libraries, books, words, ideas'

By: chrisdonia
Image URL: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6065/6076308161_ca6e51b288_z.jpg
Image found via: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisdonia/6076308161/

Unknown title

Dettmer takes a thick book and transformed it into an extremely impressive book sculpture, and what's unbelievable is, he didn't add anything extra to form the sculpture!

By: Brian Dettmer
Image URL: http://unknown.url/
Image found via: http://briandettmer.com/

Mound 2.

By just removing what was there in the first place, a boring, abandoned book can even be turned into something fantastic and remarkable. Hat tip to the creator.

By: Brian Dettmer
Image URL: http://briandettmer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Mound2-View1.jpg
Image found via: http://briandettmer.com/

Tab.

Brian Dettmer is not only good at sculpting one book, as this sculpture composed by several books will prove to you.

By: Brian Dettmer
Image URL: http://briandettmer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Tab-Detail-1.jpg
Image found via: http://briandettmer.com/

The Household Physicians.

As the name of the book implies, all the colorful anatomy images came from the book itself -- the sculptor just removed certain parts of the book to reveal the gems inside. Genius.

By: Brian Dettmer
Image URL: http://briandettmer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Household-Physician-View1.jpg
Image found via: http://briandettmer.com/

Unfurled.

Extremely eye-pleasing colors. The form is quite abstract, but you can feel like it's a real creature that exists in our world!

By: Jacqueline Rush Lee
Image URL: http://www.jacquelinerushlee.com/images/Devotion/4.jpg
Image found via: http://www.jacquelinerushlee.com/images/images.html

Flutter.

Splendid colors, dynamic lines, great expression. Truly a genuine product of art.

By: Jacqueline Rush Lee
Image URL: http://www.jacquelinerushlee.com/images/Volumes/image34.jpg
Image found via: http://www.jacquelinerushlee.com/images/images.html

Lorem Ipsum II.

What would you perceive this as? I never knew that the combination of books can form such a lively "creature"!

By: Jacqueline Rush Lee
Image URL: http://www.jacquelinerushlee.com/images/new_work/7a.jpg
Image found via: http://www.jacquelinerushlee.com/images/images.html

Grand Larousse.

Guy Laramee has his own passion on the art of book sculpting. His book sculptures consist mostly of landscapes, and this sculpture is just one of his greatest products of passion.

By: Guy Laramee
Image URL: http://guylaramee.com/files/gimgs/18_grand-larousses.jpg
Image found via: http://guylaramee.com/index.php?/previous-projects/the-great-wall/

Longmen.

Form an epic geographical existence with just 9 Longmen books, seriously? And this sculptor has just done that.

By: Guy Laramee
Image URL: http://guylaramee.com/files/gimgs/18_longmens.jpg
Image found via: http://guylaramee.com/index.php?/previous-projects/the-great-wall/

Book People.

If you want to argue that life and spirit existed inside a book, this piece could be your most persuasive proof.

By: Guy Laramee
Image URL: http://guylaramee.com/files/gimgs/16_book-people-3s.jpg
Image found via: http://guylaramee.com/index.php?/biblios/text-1/

Petra.

There's a world for you to discover in every book. Literally.

By: Guy Laramee
Image URL: http://guylaramee.com/files/gimgs/16_petras.jpg
Image found via: http://guylaramee.com/index.php?/biblios/text-1

What Have We Become? Vol. 1

Nicholas Galanin is good at turning a lifeless book into a face with rich emotions that are sometimes even more expressive than a human's face.

By: Nicholas Galanin
Image URL: http://farm1.staticflickr.com/114/286648636_1179d106d0_z.jpg?zz=1
Image found via: http://www.flickr.com/photos/galanin/286648636/

Tlingit Vol.11.

He's silent, and he's looking at you. For a second, you might believe that he's alive.

By: Nicholas Galanin
Image URL: http://farm1.staticflickr.com/122/286649853_c1001efc30_z.jpg?zz=1
Image found via: http://www.flickr.com/photos/galanin/286649853/

Garden of Forking Paths.

Many might have done the paper sculptures with these kinds of shapes, but few are as precise as Nicholas Jones' book sculptures.

By: Nicholas Jones
Image URL: http://www.bibliopath.org/wp-content/themes/NickTheme/PhotoArchive/photographs/the_garden_of_forking_paths-geelong_gallery_2009/nicholas_jones_geelong_51.jpg
Image found via: http://www.bibliopath.org/?page_id=61

Das Moderne Orchester.

The right book and carefully crafted shapes, these are all you need to create an inspiring sculpture like the one showcased below.

By: Nicholas Jones
Image URL: http://www.bibliopath.org/wp-content/themes/NickTheme/PhotoArchive/photographs/recent_works/das_moderne_orchester.jpg
Image found via: http://www.bibliopath.org/?page_id=61

Rose.

Can you count how many of the books are linked to create this unique book sculpture? Besides, you can also view similar sculptures with fewer books; just click on the same image

By: Robert The
Image URL: http://www.bookdust.com/images/rose/rose13.jpg
Image found via: http://www.bookdust.com/

Scorpion.

I love the tail, simply because it's awesome.

By: Robert The
Image URL: http://www.bookdust.com/images/braque/braque03.jpg
Image found via: http://www.bookdust.com/

Gideons Biblegun.

The word of God is the sword of the Spirit, but apparently, it's good as a gun, too.

By: Robert The
Image URL: http://www.bookgun.com/images/frontpage/kjv_blue_Gideons-2.jpg
Image found via: http://www.bookdust.com/

Le Deuxi?me Sexe.

Georgia Russell?s works, which are mostly placed into a jar, are often associated with carefully crafted books and leaf-like papercuts. A genuine blend, for sure.

By: Georgia Russell
Image URL: http://www.dukanhourdequin.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/zoom_image/La%20Deuxi%C3%A8me%20Sexe%2C%202008%2C%2045x23x37cm%20-2.jpg
Image found via: http://www.dukanhourdequin.com/artists/georgia-russell-2

Baudelaire.

Watching this abstract and awe-inspiring sculpture, I just remembered that books were originally part of the nature.

By: Georgia Russell
Image URL: http://www.dukanhourdequin.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/scale_image/Baudelaire,%202007,%2065x27cm%20-2.jpg
Image found via: http://www.dukanhourdequin.com/artists/georgia-russell-0

The Baron in the Trees.

This world built on a book seems more beautiful than the real world we live in.

By: Su Blackwell
Image URL: http://www.sublackwell.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/sculptures/2011_baron_in_the_trees.jpg
Image found via: http://www.sublackwell.co.uk/portfolio-book-cut-sculpture/

The Orient Express.

Every book has its own tale, and Su Blackwell is great at telling tales through this sculpture.

By: Su Blackwell
Image URL: http://www.sublackwell.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/sculptures/2011_orient_express.jpg
Image found via: http://www.sublackwell.co.uk/portfolio-book-cut-sculpture/

The Old House.

Simple and gorgeous, doesn't it just light up your life?

By: Su Blackwell
Image URL: http://www.sublackwell.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/sculptures/2007-the-old-house.jpg
Image found via: http://www.sublackwell.co.uk/portfolio-book-cut-sculpture/

Holiday Tree.

A similar pattern with most works in the industry, but with added lights and a star to form a Christmas tree! Now that?s called a creative twist.

By: Kimbrough Library
Image URL: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3164/3102863306_cb7c919530_z.jpg
Image found via: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30132888%40N05/3102863306/

Folded Book.

It challenged the usual sculpture patterns, and the outcome is strikingly cool.

By: Kimbrough Library
Image URL: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3233/3097932987_e1e73e906f_z.jpg
Image found via: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30132888%40N05/3097932987/

Recycled Art.

You can't deny the fact that this piece is really inspiring.

By: Kimbrough Library
Image URL: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3090/3171678246_8ece2a9ab7_z.jpg
Image found via: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30132888%40N05/3171678246/

The Ark.

Book sculpture always look like it's telling you a tale, so is this wonderful piece.

By: Cara Smith
Image URL: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3146/2804212803_1f0b1d658d_z.jpg
Image found via: http://www.flickr.com/photos/n217cs/2804212803/

Rocket Launcher.

Smart use of paper to form a blasting wave below the rocket. Books can take you anywhere, if you embrace it.

By: Cara Smith
Image URL: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3163/2804215585_2656d20140_z.jpg
Image found via: http://www.flickr.com/photos/n217cs/2804215585/

Typography.

Typography is what makes a book appealing, and this well-executed sculpture reminds me of the fact.

By: Cara Smith
Image URL: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3143/2804201369_7cd3ccaf4d_z.jpg
Image found via: http://www.flickr.com/photos/n217cs/2804201369/

A Book Sculpture.

A sculpture with comfortable shapes and modern colors applied. Nice try!

By: Cara Smith
Image URL: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3111/2804226643_bd2ebe7c7d_z.jpg
Image found via: http://www.flickr.com/photos/n217cs/2804226643/

Book of Shadows III.

Seriously epic, and terrifying as well! Despite the details, I think I have any guts to put it in my room for a while, but it makes for a successful Halloween decoration, as intended by the creator.

By: Nachthauch
Image URL: http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/108/6/4/book_of_shadows_iii_by_nachthauch-d3c8spu.jpg
Image found via: http://nachthauch.deviantart.com/art/Book-of-Shadows-III-201964386

Book With Wings.

There's hardly a book sculpture that will influence the environment around it, but this is the exception. It looks holy and angelic -- you go silent from looking at it.

By: Mike Fiddleman
Image URL: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2632/3685364896_4f48ffe0f3_z.jpg
Image found via: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fidd/3685364896/

Train.

Well executed -- the sculpture, angle and lighting. This imaginative creation actually makes me feel like it's really come out from the book!

By: Becky Delaware
Image URL: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5066/5593197335_40d567fbd2_z.jpg
Image found via: http://www.flickr.com/photos/58855592%40N02/5593197335/

Butterfly 2.

Inspiring combination of books to form a unique sculpture, nice colors as well!

By: Cara Barer
Image URL: http://www.carabarer.com/wp-content/gallery/2006-2007/butterfly-2.jpg
Image found via: http://www.carabarer.com/portfolio/2006-2007/

Chapter 21.

Flower blossoming from the book, what could be fresher than this!

By: carrotskanfli
Image URL: http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/080/b/f/Chapter_21_by_carrotskanfli.jpg
Image found via: http://carrotskanfli.deviantart.com/art/Chapter-21-158043233

The Words Fly Off the Pages.

So much fiery love to this sculpture! The feathers are probably the critical factor that made this sculpture so beautiful and expressive.

By: sneekyfox
Image URL: http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2011/110/e/f/the_words_fly_off_the_pages_by_sneekyfox-d3ef1nw.jpg
Image found via: http://sneekyfox.deviantart.com/art/the-words-fly-off-the-pages-205615148

Live Garden Journal.

This piece has the potential to become a very different sculpture form! It will be good to see more similar sculptures like this!

By: cloutierj
Image URL: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/059/a/7/Live_Garden_Journal___June_by_cloutierj.jpg
Image found via: http://cloutierj.deviantart.com/art/Live-Garden-Journal-June-155776960

Pride and Prejudice.

This sculpture resulted from an assignment, but it looks quite professional, if you ask me! Well done, Shamus.

By: shamus
Image URL: http://fc04.deviantart.net/images3/i/2004/086/b/c/Pride_and_Prejudice.jpg
Image found via: http://shamus.deviantart.com/art/Pride-and-Prejudice-6124619

Big Fish CU.

What made this sculpture a jewel is the ripple effect behind the fish! An awesome idea that makes the entire sculpture come to life.

By: striker313
Image URL: http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/105/7/d/big_fish_cu_by_striker313-d3e2j65.jpg
Image found via: http://striker313.deviantart.com/art/Big-Fish-CU-205031309